Posted on May 30, 2016 | Comments 0
Refrigerator is an essential for every household but at the same time, it is one of the electronic machines which contribute a large share to high electricity bills. Hence, it is important to make the fridge energy efficient so that energy is conserved and money is saved as well. You can consider different ways to make your refrigerator energy efficient, especially is it an old one. Doing this is not only easy, but is inexpensive too and hence, you can save on energy and money without making a lot of efforts. You can see the energy efficiency of the refrigerator within a few days of putting these tips in practice. Read them below:
- Replace the rubber seal of the refrigerator door. This seal protects your fridge from leaking the cool air inside and any warm air from outside entering it. If warm air does not enter inside, the fridge does not need to produce more energy for the cooling of the refrigerator.
- Keep your refrigerator away from heat sources. While you plan the setup of your kitchen, do it away from stoves, ovens, dishwashers and other appliances which produce heat. This is because being in contact with heat sources causes the compressors of the refrigerator get into high gear and makes the fridge work harder.
- The condenser coils of the refrigerator are responsible for removing warmth of the machine. If these coils become dusty, it becomes difficult to trap the heat from entering. Hence, you need to make sure that you clean these coils regularly as this affects the performance of this unit.
- Do not keep hot food in the fridge. If you keep hot food in the fridge to refrigerate it to preserve it for the next day, you need to first cool it down to the room temperature and then keep it in the fridge so that lesser amount of energy is required in order to refrigerate the food.
- You should store the food properly in a food protective wrap or a high quality Tupperware container before keeping it in the refrigerator so that it prevents the residual heat escaping into your unit and saving energy.
- Do not store food in stainless steel containers because these containers take larger amount of energy to be cooled. Instead, use plastic containers only.
- Make sure you close the door of the refrigerator properly. This is one of the most basic tips to follow while you use a refrigerator because an opening in the fridge door will directly allow the warm air entering inside and making the refrigerator put in more energy in order to cool down. You can also limit the amount of times for which you open the fridge and do not keep it open for a long time as well.
- Organize your refrigerator properly. This plays an important role in making the refrigerator energy efficient. With this, you can find whatever you want inside your fridge easily, so that you do not keep finding the food and keep your refrigerator door open for a long time, in turn reducing the amount of energy used.
Filed Under: Science & Technology