College is an integral part of our lives. Some of you may be lucky to go to the college that is very near to your home. But there are those of you who have to move to a different state to go to college and that means several months and years of dorm stay.
These days can be very exciting and formative. But you can make it all the more productive if you set up a green dorm room for yourself. Here are a few easy methods to help you go green with your dorm room.
Make your Dorm Room Green
- The basic items you use in your dorm room are the bed, a side table, table lamp, and some decorative items. Try and get used items. They will save you a lot of money and sometimes these second hand items are available in good quality.
- You will also need some items like a toaster, a small heater, a small fan and also some storage items. Make sure that you buy them locally. This will help especially if you are travelling far and wide. In this way you will be able to reduce the carbon footprint.
- When new students come old ones leave some of their stuff and that too free. Keep an eye out for them. You can save a lot of money this way and reuse is a green option for sure.
- A micro-fridge is very beneficial if you decide to stay in a dorm. But before you buy one, check if the fridge is energy friendly. Low energy consumption appliances are available and a little research will go a long way to save energy.
- If you want a lampshade, try and use paper for it. You can also use paper to create wall dÃ©cor. This is a simple way to help the environment.
- Try and use natural light as much as possible. This will reduce the use of bulbs and electricity. It is a smart move to go green.
- You will need linen and it might be a good idea to use organic cotton linen. This option is better than other synthetic material.
- Try and use dishes and kitchenware that you use again and again. The problem with paper plates is that they have to be thrown away once used. This increases garbage content.
- Pot some plants in your room. Things could not be greener than this.
Photo Credit By: interiordesignable.com