Caring for the environment involves a conscious effort in every individual. It can range from joining an environmental group which supports specific environmental causes like caring for the seas, planting trees, reduction of greenhouse gases or for the protection of endangered species to the use of eco friendly products.
Eco friendly products in a nutshell
Eco friendly products, environmentally friendly, nature friendly and green are the collective names used to describe goods and services which are not harmful to the atmosphere or the environment as whole. It also includes similar precautions and measures in its manufacturing process to make it safe and green.
Eco friendly products range from home to office to industrial consumer products for utility and consumption purposes which are less detrimental to Mother Nature.
Eco friendly products labeling
Eco friendly products are often marked with eco labels to instill awareness among consumers. The eco friendly products labels are primarily for classifying consumer products which have minimal or no detrimental effects on the environment.
The labeling system can be used for precautionary measure or as a substitute for products.
However, labeling varies from country to country and each country has its own set of standards to meet the eco friendly products label.
Here are some eco friendly products labels from different countries to ensure that products and services are indeed eco friendly:
- In the United States, the United States Environmental Protection Agency provides guidelines on what eco friendly products are made of and good for consumption.
- Environmental Choice Program is a Canadian label placed on eco friendly products available in the market.
- European Union members place the EUâ€™s eco-label on their goods while waiting for the EUâ€™s approval. While the EMAS (Eco-Management and Audit Scheme) are used to signify whether or not the management of an organization is environmentally friendly. Germany on the other hand has the Blue Angel labels for its eco friendly products.
- In other parts of the globe, the Energy Star is the most visible mark in any consumer products particularly in appliances and gadgets. This Energy Star aims to reduce greenhouse gas emission when using these eco friendly products.
- There is also the famous recycling mark which implies that products are either made from recycled materials or it can be recycled after use.
How to identify eco friendly products?
- Check the label. Look for these eco friendly labels in the packaging. It will also help if the packaging itself is made from recycled materials or are biodegradable.
- Have a working knowledge on chemicals. Know that nonylphenol ethoxylates or NPEs are harmful to marine life. Phosphates, chlorine and petroleum based cleaners should also be avoided in any product because they are harmful to the environment.
- Choose organic products, they are surely eco friendly, though they cost more.
- Choose those with the Energy Star label for your appliances and gadgets. These products are energy efficient.
- Look for the recycle sign when buying paper products as well as home furnishings like floor and furniture.