We always think that pollution in the current time cannot be decreased and there is nothing we can do. What we fail to realise is that taking a single step forward motivates people to do the same and that brings in a difference. Cutting down wastage and going green can help a lot in reducing pollution and can also cut off some of your expenses. Listed below are a few tips that might help you.
1.Install Thermostats That Are Programmable- Programmable thermostat is a tool that regulates home temperature as per your requirements. Heaters and Air conditioners largely affect our electricity bill.Â Switch off your air conditioner when no one requires it. It doesn’t let excess energy go to waste. Commonly all thermostats help you to create a schedule. During your working hours you can set your air conditioner at a higher temperature, whereas you can lower it while you are at home. Advanced models of thermostats allow you to control it with your tablet or phone. YouÂ can easily change the settings as per your varying requirements.
- Change or Replace The Light Bulbs- Compact fluorescent lamps (CFLs)and LED light bulbs are energy efficient and consume 75% less energy. If you are using incandescent bulbs that consume more energy, then it is best that you change or replace them with LED bulbs or CFLs. LED bulbs unlike other bulbs do not burn out completely, their light is dimmed. This happens only after you have been using it for a long time, CFL’s and LED bulbs are long lasting.
- Switch to Green Power- Green power is an optional utility service. It’s main aim is to expand the production and distribution of technologies that run on renewable energy. Green Power is defined as electricity that is generated from solar energy, wind, biomass and hydro facilities. Conventional process of generating electricity is the major cause behind air pollution. Therefore, the availability of green power encourages customers to switch their home power sources.
- Use Low Flow Fixtures- Low flow fixtures help you to save water. A normal shower head gives up to 5.5 gallons of water per minute whereas, low flow shower head gives less than 2 gallons of water per minute. Switching to low flow fixtures saves over a hundred gallons of water annually. This also reduces the cost of water.
- Choose Energy Efficient Appliances- Energy efficient home appliances conserve energy and minimise its consumption. Though such appliances are quite expensive but the investment is worth it. Energy saving electrical appliances like 3-4 star air conditioners and refrigerators can help you a lot by reducing nearly 15% of your electricity bill.
- Prevent Air Leaks- Air leakage from the cracks around doors and windows can add to your expenses. You can seal up the gaps or cracks with weather stripping. It is inexpensive and can save 10% of your bill. Weather strips or caulks are available at any hardware store. Foam rolls do not cost more than $5 and the plastic ones are more durable.
Image Credit:Â solanacenter.org