Reusable grocery bags are those kinds of grocery bags that are made up of environmental friendly materials such as hemp, nylon and cotton etc. These bags are designed to store grocery items which you buy at your grocery shopping session and are different from single use paper bags or plastic bags.
Like everything else in the world, these reusable grocery bags too have their advantages and disadvantages. The benefits and disadvantages depend upon the exact material used to make them but the following are a few of the general ones:
- One of the main and most important advantages of a reusable grocery bag is that it can be used over and over again. This avoids the need of buying a new bag each time you go grocery shopping.
- Another major benefit of using such bags is that they avoid the negative impact made to the environment by using plastic or paper bags. Moreover, they help in reducing the paper production which indirectly leads to cutting down of trees. Thus it is safe to say that these bags help protect the environment in a big way.
- An advantage of using cotton based such bags is the durability, machine washing ability and its softness whereas on the other hand, using jute bags means using a durable and biodegradable product.
Disadvantage of using Reusable Grocery Bags
- The main disadvantage of using reusable grocery bags is that they consist of a lot of bacteria. Infact, several other microorganisms are also found in these bags which make them slightly unsafe to use.
- Another disadvantage of using reusable grocery bags made of cotton is that they get shrunk when washed and this can lead to a problem after a few washes.
- One of the disadvantages associated with using nylon reusable grocery bags is that nylon is slow to break down because it is a petroleum based product and this may make it difficult to dispose off.
- If you use jute grocery bag, then a disadvantage associated with it is that it is not a moisture resistant material and this may make it difficult to carry certain products or grocery items.
- Some people also use polypropylene reusable grocery bags too but a disadvantage of using them is that this material is a non-renewable source which means that it is not compostable or biodegradable.
Photo Credit By: greenjute.com