Posted on Aug 20, 2009 | Comments 1
Recent reports of American Chemical Society suggest that paraffin wax candles mainly used to create romantic light, fragrance and ambiance may contribute to indoor air pollution.
Researchers conducted extensive testing to reveal that lovers lingering in glow of candles are exposing themselves to carcinogens and the main culprit found was petroleum based paraffin wax candle. They suggest that beeswax or soy candles are of less problem than paraffin and also good ventilation can help to reduce levels of pollutants.
“An occasional paraffin candle and its emissions will not likely affect you,” R. Massoudi and Amid Hamidi, lead authors of the study said. “But lighting many paraffin candles every day for years or lighting them frequently in an unventilated bathroom around a tub, for example, may cause problems.”
Filed Under: Green Living